Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lab 4 - ARCGIS TUTORIAL

My experience with ArcGIS was an in challenging at first, but looking back at my life, aren’t most things? It’s all about practice and gaining familiarity. During the first exercise I was constantly flipping back and forth between the tutorial and the program for each single step. The program was brand new to me and I barely could understand how to navigate through it without the step-by-step instructions of the tutorial. I began to think that ArcGIS is really difficult to use and doubted that I would ever be able to even use the program’s simplest applications with ease. However, looking back at other programs that I’ve used, I realized that I felt this way about them too at first. For example, the ticketing system that we use where I work (known as Archtics) was extremely complicated in my eyes when I was first being taught how to use it. I remember thinking, “How am I going to ever get the hang of this?” Now, a few years later, I know the system very well and can easily use it for more complicated tasks as well as train others on how to use it. It’s the same with ArGIS; I just need to give it time and practice, and eventually I’ll hopefully understand it enough to no longer need a tutorial to instruct me every step of the way.
Even though the programming system itself might be difficult to work with, the tutorial did make it very simple. I would have to say that it was probably one of the most helpful tutorials I have ever used because it didn’t miss a step. It would even tell you when to press ‘ok’ on dialogue boxes. Even though it was only a beginner’s tutorial session, I was truly stunned by the type of things that ArcGIS could do. I think it’s pretty awesome how multiple layers can be integrated into one concrete map. Maps are no longer a guide for direction, but with the help of today’s program’s and technology, maps can illustrate a large variety of things.
ArcGIS has a vast amount of potential in the world of geography. By allowing multiple layers to be included in the same map we can be exposed to a variety of different relational data. However, being able to display a lot of information in your map requires skill, and that is the downfall of ArcGIS. A regular person who isn't very familiar with the program will not even know where to begin. Even going through the tutorial for the first time doesn't make someone very proficient with the program. It is very different from neogeography, which allows non-experts to create maps and other interactive spatial data illustrations. ArcGIS requires long hours of training and also a basic backgroun in geography so that they can have a better feel for what they are doing.
Overall, this lab was quite enjoyable. Even though it was long and time-consuming, I did learn a lot and I am excited to get more experience with this program. Before this class I wasn't aware that such a program existed for the average student (with a tutorial ofcourse) and I am proud of my end result.

1 comment: