Monday, April 19, 2010

Neogeography

Noegeography Commentary
Neogeography literally means "new geography", which refers to geographic information and maps that are created by the average person with no expert knowledge of geography. The Google-My Maps that we all created in lab are examples of what can be classified as 'neogeography'. The main difference between neogeography and traditional geography is the accuracy and precision that goes into the traditional work. Neogeography on the other hand, typically lacks any formal or analytical basis.

Neogeography has changed the way we travel and make travel decisions. With hands-on tools and easy access with cell phone internet access, neogeography is at the palm of your hands when you need it. People are able to navigate more easily around cities and new places thanks to neogeography and easy to use navigation devices. Finding a place to eat nearby is also something that can be done with the click of a button. Neogeography has great potential and has already successfully exposed many "non-experts" to the world of maps, geography, and spatial awareness. Other than just being a tool to help with directions, neogeography allows for interactive maps that can be embedded with videos, pictures, and more. In this way, people from around the world can share their trips and stories and inspire others that they don't even know.

However, every good things has its faults. One of the pitfalls of neogeography is its ability to control a vacation or a trip. Let's say I was to go to DC and I stumbled on the interactive Google map below. Everything is already so neatly mapped out for me that I may as well follow along. However, this takes away from me creating my own path and finding things on my own rather than having everything right in front of me. Neogeography can definitely take away from that. While neogeography is a teaching tool because it allows people to be more spatially aware of their location, it can take away from the valuable learning tool of "learning from your mistakes". For example, when you used to get lost before GPS it would challenge you to test your sense of direction and find your way back, but with a GPS or another neogeography tool, the job is taken care of for you and you may lose out on that learning opportunity.

Below is an interactive Google My-Maps of a walking tour in DC. I took this route over summer, and while my legs definitely hurt after the long day of walking, it was all worth it. DC is beautiful and has a lot to offer, and hopefully a fraction of that can be shown in my map.


View Washington DC Walking Map in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. 9.5/10

    One note: you have the FDR memorial on the wrong location. I only know this because it's one of my favorites in DC!

    ReplyDelete